Revitalize and Inspire our Next Generation
The Toll of Time
From 1905 to 1986, the theater was the showpiece of Goshen’s entertainment and shopping district. The theater was forced to close in 1986. Over time, unaddressed issues reduced the facility into disrepair.
Work in Progress
In 2014, Goshen Theater, Inc. (GTI) purchased the facility and began working to reverse the effects of time and neglect. Thanks to local leaders and financial supporters, the building is now improved enough to host events and programming.
Those improvements include:
- Fire escapes brought up to code
- Interior sewer replacement
- HVAC repairs
- Refinished third-floor ballroom floor to protect kids’ feet as they are dancing
- Created a dance studio on first floor for kids with limited mobility
- Secured three-way liquor and restaurant license to expand concessions
- Upgraded rigging above stage brought up to code
- New screen and upgraded projector
Phase 1: The Next Act
Much has been done –– but the real work is just beginning. In order to meet the community’s desire for increased arts programming and to make Goshen an even greater place to live, we must restore the Goshen Theater as the centerpiece of culture and entertainment.
Currently, the building’s condition poses limitations. It has no elevator, limited ADA accessibility, negligible patron space and few amenities for performers. Funding is needed to address high-priority repairs. Each day without a long-term solution is an opportunity lost for the community.
• Inspire children to find their passions and learn lifelong skills •
• Enhance Goshen’s vibrant and cultural programming •
• Provide a community gathering space •
• Create an event space for weddings, proms, quinceañeras, seminars and more •
• Attract visitors and corporate talent to the region •
• Amplify a sense of pride in our community •